Funeral Arrangements for Michelle Smith – LODD

12/24/2008 – From the News Journal website, by Terri Sanginiti:

Funeral services for the Delaware City firefighter who died this week following a hit-and-run crash, have been set for after the holidays, fire officials said.

Delaware City Fire Company spokesman Dave Carpenter Jr. said the line of duty death services for Michelle L. Smith are being coordinated by the fire company’s officers and members, members of the Delaware Fire Chief’s Association and the National Fallen Firefighter’s Foundation Local Assistance State Teams.

A viewing will be held from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 4, at the Delaware City Fire Company Memorial Hall.

Funeral services will be held at the hall the following day at 10 a.m.

The hall is located at 815 Fifth St. in Delaware City.

A firefighter honor ceremony and procession will immediately follow en route to the Odd Fellows Cemetery, at 420 S. Dupont Blvd. in Smyrna, where she will be interred.

Smith, who has been a volunteer firefighter with Delaware City for more than five years, also served as a volunteer with Volunteer Hose Company of Middletown.

She is survived by a 12-year-old daughter, Emily.

A trust fund has been set up in her name.

In lieu of flowers, Smith’s family has asked that donations be made to: The Emily A. Burge Trust Fund, c/o Delaware City Fire Company, P.O. Box 251, 815 Fifth St., Delaware City, DE 19706.

Donations can also be made directly to the Delaware City Fire Company at the same address.

Smith, 30, died Monday of injuries sustained in a hit-and-run crash on U.S. 13 on Saturday while rendering aid to injured 30-year-old motorcyclist Edward Reiss, of New Castle.

Reiss remains hospitalized in Christiana Hospital in critical condition.

State police arrested Joseph M. Taye Jr., 28, of Bear, late Monday as the alleged hit-and-run driver.

He’s been charged with manslaughter, second-degree assault, driving while revoked, leaving the scene of a crash and failure to report a crash.

Taye, who is a paraplegic and was allegedly driving with a revoked license, was committed to Young Correctional Institution on Monday in lieu of $37,500 bail.

He has since been released after posting bail.


Author: Billy