10/12/2008 – On Sunday, October 12, around 13:58, Kent Center dispatched Station 44 (Citizens Hose Company of Smyrna) and Ambulance 64 (Smyrna American Legion) for a structure fire at 29 E. Commerce Street.
The fire was located about two blocks from the firehouse in the former Smyrna Times Building. The building dates back to the mid 1800’s and is in the historic section of town. As 44-15 (Symrna Chief John Embert) was arriving at the station, he notified Kent Center and requested a second alarm be sounded for Station 44. Engine 44-2 reported heavy smoke showing on arrival. Going in service, units found heavy fire in the interior on the second and third floors. Units from Stations 45 (Clayton), 46 (Dover), 43 (Cheswold), and 51 (Hartly) assisted.
Units on scene:
Engines 44-2, 44-4, 44-3, 45-3, 43-4, 51-5, 46-6
Rescues 44, 45
Utilities 44-10, 45-10
Town of Smyrna (Public Works)
Rescue 26 (Townsend), Engines 54-5 (Little Creek) and 24-3 (Odessa) at Station 44
Quint 6 (Sudlersville, MD) and Engine 2-3 (Millington, MD) at Station 45
Photographs by : Brian Slattery